Thank you to everyone who has already completed the survey I posted on Facebook last week!
Here is a bit more information, and the link again, for those of you who may not have seen it yet: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/holistic_health_needs_assessment
As a UBC Rehabilitation Science student (Faculty of Medicine), I am currently assessing the need for a ‘neuro-spiritual’ education program for people with unexplained physical pain.
It is based on a concept shared between nervous system health and spiritual healing concepts, namely pain as a symptom of disconnection within ourselves and/or between us and others. The program would provide both information and practical tools with the goal of reducing suffering of people with unexplained physical pain.
Do you think this proposed program would fill an unmet need within our current healthcare system? I would really appreciate any constructive comments you’d be willing to share!
Please complete the survey (link above) if you:
- are a Canadian resident
- have experienced muscle, joint and/or nerve pain (regardless if it is ‘unexplained’ or diagnosed)
- have seen a doctor, physiotherapist, massage therapist, chiropractor, or acupuncturist for the pain within the past 2 years
Thank you in advance! Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or to provide comments in email format.
Come learn, grow and heal with us! My dear friend and colleague Erin Leach, Registered Professional Counsellor, and I invite you to join with us: it’s Time to Heal!
This group is for men and women looking to go deeper on their healing journey. Whether you have a current health challenge or are feeling spiritually disconnected, we will share practical tools to help you connect to your body’s innate wisdom, guiding you to greater joy, health, connection and community.
Join the Time to Heal Facebook page for healing inspiration and quick MindBody connection tools when you need them.
Join us for our next in person gathering in Vancouver, BC on Thursday September 27th. Stay tuned for details. RSVP required, maximum 8 people.
Have you ever heard that our worlds are created based on what we belief? The idea that “what we look for, we will find,” or that what we expect to happen, is likely to happen?! Many research studies on the placebo effect support this concept within health care.
Knowing this can be a powerful tool in creating positive changes in our health. However, rarely can we simply “change our beliefs!” You see, beliefs are patterned in our nervous system and show up in how we automatically respond to situations, and even what situations we find ourselves in.
So what then?! Are we stuck with recreating our lives/health/bodies based on old belief system that we wish were different? No! Our mind-body-spirit system wants to, and knows how to, come back into balance. But we need to listen to it kindly, and allow it to release at the nervous system level.
What you can do to support yourself in the healing process:
- Notice what you belief about yourself and the world. Just start noticing, with curiosity (and don’t belief everything you think!)
- Notice the sensations in your body. Painful areas often draw attention first. Can you also find an area that feels comfortable and open, maybe even relaxed? Whether it’s a whole leg that feels comfortable, or just an earlobe or fingertip, recognizing that we hold both the comfortable and uncomfortable at the same time can be a great resource to decrease painful areas.
- Get support from a health care professional who knows about this stuff!
- A manual therapist with working knowledge of nervous system release and stress physiology
- A Somatic Experiencing Practitioner
- A body based counsellor or psychotherapist
Comments or questions?! Head over to my Facebook page and be in touch with me there!
Our judgements, against ourselves and others, are great gifts. Take time to be with them. They’ll be gone before you know it.